Thursday, January 27, 2011

An Ode to the 5th Sethi of the House!...Tobbler my Dog! Part- 1

I have always told people that I can write a book on my dog, that there are so many things to tell the world about this amazing creature that I can fill some 10 chapters of a book on him. Believe me it was just a figure of speech for telling everyone that “Tobbler” my dog, is a gem. He’s different yet just like any other dog, he’s funny yet very annoying, he’s adorable yet sometimes you despise him no end. But last night I actually got a thought. That why not I actually write about my sweet little innocent(!!!) dog.

So here I am dedicating following chapters to my dog- Tobbleron aka Tobbler celebrating 11 brilliant years of his life, with us.

The first experience

My last dog, Gin passed away at the age of 16 in January 1999. He was officially my uncle’s dog, who used to live on the ground floor of the house where we stayed. But once my uncle moved to Singapore, we had the opportunity to take care of him. Gin was a well trained dog, who loved to be in the outdoors. My elder sister was especially close to him and his demise was very difficult for her. But he lived a full happy life. And so we had no complaints when he left us and went to someplace better. Suddenly life felt very empty around us. For me I grew up with Gin around. I was born with him being just about 2-3 months old, so it was a very different feeling of not having him around anymore. So one day I called his vet, just to say hi and she gave me a suggestion that why not we keep another dog. It had been just a month since Gin was no more. But she convinced me that the best way to get over this was to get another dog. I placed the suggestion on the floor of the house (at the dinner table at home). My dad was not committal but my mother was very vocal that she did not want another dog. That we both, my sister and I, will get married soon and leave the dog to age with dad and her. My mother, like most mothers, is a sensitive soul and she didn’t want to get attached to another dog. But I had made up my mind that life is going to be quite boring if we don’t keep another dog and that too soon! I called the vet, and discussed the possibilities of the different breeds. I personally wanted to keep a Labrador because they are the most loving things on this planet! But we stayed in a flat on the second floor. The house was my grand fathers, so we could use the small garden outside on the ground floor, but it was nothing like the one these labs deserve. Plus the vet told me that they need to be walked atleast 6-7 km’s a day. The last suggestion took the want of owning a lab away from me. I don’t think anyone in my family had the time nor the inclination to walk a dog for 7 km’s a day! And I was not particularly keen on owning an obese dog. I told her that any small house dog is good with me. And that she should call me as soon as she finds anyone who is willing to give or sell a pup.

A week later I got a call from the vet. There was this family who lived some 15 minutes away from us. Their two loving dogs had given birth to 3 pups, 2 bitches and a dog two months ago. They were looking for people to adopt them. She gave me her number and told me to go and adopt whichever one I liked. I broke the news at home, and everyone was taken aback. Well I didn’t understand what the big deal was actually. I mean it’s not like the end of the world, in fact it was like a new beginning. My father, being the soft non reaction types gave me his typical, beta do what you feel is right answer, which was as good as a yes. He was quite fond of dogs himself so he didn’t seem to mind. My sister was my partner in crime so there was no problem there. But it was my mother who required all the convincing. She argued, got angry, didn’t speak to me, spoke to me a lot and finally after 2 days agreed to keep the dog. J I called on the number in the morning that day and got the appointment to meet them in the evening at 7. I was so excited. I went to school, I was studying in the 11th standard, all pumped up and wondered when would school get over and it’ll be 7 o clock. Why is it that when you want the time to move quickly it seems to tick sooooooooo slowly. I told my best friends, my friends, my not so good friends, even the teachers that I am getting a new dog today. Finally school ended. I went back. I waited for mum to finish work and my sister to get back from college. And then it was 6.30pm and we were ready to go. We reached their house in about 20 minutes. I was so excited I almost jumped from our car straight inside their living room. As we were entering one of their dogs was tied up outside and he honestly didn’t look too happy to see us. His bark was the shrillest I’ve heard of any dog. Not too friendly I thought to myself. We were seated in the living room. A young girl came out with 4 dogs in toe. “Hi, I’m Madhuri, you must be Geetika, she looked at me and smiled. I got up and shook her hand. “Hi Madhuri, Its so nice to meet you. I think I spoke to you in the morning.” I smiled back and introduced her to mum and di. “Yes, I had told Rita aunty to find some nice people for the pups. You see I love dogs and so does my family. But chotu, motu and ladoo are the only three we can afford to keep in our house! And now that chotu and ladoo have given birth to these 3 most adorable puppies 2 months ago, we wanted to find them a good safe place to live.” She explained, ushering in the maid with some nice delicacies. Chotu motu ladoo!!!! I thought. Who names their dogs with such names! And what if they’ve already named these puppies as well and we cant change their names. Like having a dog who’s name is gulab jamun! Gosh I can’t stand that. I prayed a little prayer to God and asked sheepishly to Madhuri. I cleared my throat. “ So Madhuri, what have you named the little ones?” I crossed my fingers. “Well honestly we haven’t named them yet. We presumed that whoever eventually becomes their caretaker would want to keep their names.” She said. Intelligent very intelligent I thought in my heart and heaved a huge sigh of relief.

“So which one will you pick?” She asked excitedly. They are two bitches and one dog. As you can see the dog is double the size of the bitches! He eats their food as well! I looked at the innocent little things. She was right. The doggy was fatter than the other two, in fact he didn’t look to be 2 months old. But he had something in his eyes. It was a combination of naughtiness and love, a sparkle I can never forget. The other two were cute too but I fell in love with him the moment I set eyes on him. “We’ll take the dog.” Di and I said in unison. I looked at her and smiled. I guess we were both thinking the same thing. My mum courteously asked how much we need to pay for him. But the family refused. “We don’t sell our dogs. We just want someone nice to take care of them, that’s all.” Madhuri said. We thanked them and were all set to go. Since di was driving and mum was sitting in the front with her. I was told to keep the pup with me. I picked him up gently. He resisted a little and looked curious and nervous in my hands. He was like a fur ball. Being a Japanese spits, he had nice pure white hair. And since he was a little plump too he seemed like a teddy bear to me. I sat down calmly and placed him on my lap and off we went. My mother had a brilliant idea on the way that why not take the pup to Rita aunty, the vet and get him get his first shots. That ways we won’t have to make a separate trip to her. While on the way I saw that our new member of the family was trembling on my lap. “Ma the doggy is shivering. I hope he isn’t feeling too cold.” I said. It was February and its cold in Delhi at that time. “ I’m sure he’s fine Geetika. I think he’s just scared with new people around him. Maybe it’s his first trip in the car!” Mum proclaimed. Di agreed. “Just pat him Gea. He will feel better.” She said. I did as I was told. And anyways he was soooo adorably cute that I couldn’t help but pat him. After a few minutes I felt warm on my lap. He had settled in quite comfortably I thought, satisfied. We reached the vet’s place in another 10 minutes and I got out, picking him up from my lap. I suddenly felt very cold on my trousers from where I picked the dog up. I looked down and saw a huge wet patch right on the beginning of my legs! And to top it all I was wearing a brand new white trouser. No wonder he eased out and was normal after sometime. He relieved himself on me!! My sister looked at me, my shocked face and starting laughing loudly. “Look mom, Geetika got the pup’s first piss; on her pants! Hahahahaaha. “Shut up, stop laughing and hurry inside before everyone thinks it me who’s done this. I looked at the dogs face. I saw him grinning. He had this satisfaction on his face, I could see it. He got me. And this was only the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. so sweet geetika..you have worded it soo simply yet its touching!!!good attempt!!

    ReplyDelete