Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Is News all Bad??

I come from a family background, where watching the news at least twice a day is a ritual! My dad for one sees news at least 5 out of the 6 hours of television that he watches every day. The consequence of being in such a set up is that a day doesn’t feel complete without me getting a fair dose of news.
But recently I have become quite disillusioned from the news that we hear on a daily basis. And I am not even talking about the Hindi news channels here! Majority of the news items in the day are about deaths, wars, scandals, suicides, the political mess, and various other uncertainties in life. Everything is sensationalised and made into a breaking story. My basic worry is that it spreads negativity all around.
In this life full of tensions, the last thing you want to hear in the evening when you’re just unwinding from a busy day at work is that everything around you in the world is as bad as it gets! The Indian television serials give us no respite either.
I remember a time when watching the 9 o clock news was a pleasure. All of us used to sit together after a long day and discuss the happenings in the world. The “World this week” with a young Pranoy Roy was one of my favourite serials to watch.
So I have a question - is all the worlds news bad, depressing, sad? I am sure there must be something good happening somewhere in this world that can be conveyed to us! And I for one wouldn’t mind listening to it one bit! Give us a reason to smile sometime in the 60 minutes of the broadcast. After all we deserve to ... everyday!

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! Interestingly I've been having the same kind of thoughts! In fact quite often I tend to read in the newspapers here that the US has issued a warning for its citizens about India currently being an unsafe country! And I'm like what the hell! But yeah, the news headlines are upsetting but then that is the reality of the world we live in! Brutal reality if I may say so!
    What does one do? We do live in a world inflicted by misery and violence and war and it is a place inhabited by savage beasts! Nothing you can do except may be try and do your bit in 'healing the world and making it a better place'!

    ReplyDelete